Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Mirror Reflectors for Christmas Tree

Hi Folks,

Rather than pile on 3-4 sets of white string lights on the tree this year and potentially creating a massive fire hazard, I decided that one or two sets would do if I could come up with some mirror reflectors to brighten up the tree.   I have seen lots of posts on other blogs about creating reflectors using mirror mosaic pieces and I had some extra ribbon from the ornament project, so I thought I would give it a try.   


Cut 2 inch strips of ribbon and flip all of the mosaic pieces over so the mirror is face down on the table.   Plug in your hot glue gun and start sorting out the materials out in front of your to create a little assembly line.   Put a little glue on the back of one mosaic piece and attach the ends of the ribbon to it first.



Then press the matching mosaic piece so the backs are facing and press firmly.  Don't press to hard, the pieces are glass, so you don't want your fingers to slip and end up cutting or scratching yourself. 

Repeat this process until you've used up all the ribbon or all the mosaic pieces.



Making the reflectors was the easy, just as I thought.  The real test will be if they reflect enough light to make a difference on the Christmas tree. 

Here is the picture before the reflectors with just the lights.


Here is the picture with the reflectors.  It definitely made some of the lights appear brighter. 


It certainly doesn't replace an additional set of lights but I still think it was worthwhile!

No comments:

Post a Comment