Monday, August 12, 2013

I Never Thought I'd Get Sick Of Painting....

For some strange reason, I like to paint.  I once thought that painting walls all day would be totally enjoyable.  I get a nice sense of accomplishment from projects like this and I don't mind monotonous, detail oriented projects (like cutting in by hand).  But this week I finally reached my breaking point.  Here is a breakdown of the painting overdose:

Saturday:
2 hours priming vanities

Sunday:
6 hours painting (only one coat) in downstairs rooms
6 hours painting upstairs hallway and two bedrooms
Painting first coat on vanities
Refinish fixtures

Monday:
5 hours painting 2nd coat in downstairs rooms
Prime and 1st coat of kitchen cabinets

Tuesday:
Paint downstairs bathroom
Touch ups on kitchen cabinets
3 hours painting two remaining upstairs bedrooms
2nd coat on vanity doors
Complete repainting remaining fixtures

Wednesday:
4 hours painting upstairs bathroom
Paint 2 replacement doors

Thursday:
1 hours for touch ups wherever we could spot them

So some of the painting projects I completely lost track of so I have no idea how much time they actually took.  I don't want to give the impression that I did all this painting myself, because my husband did a great deal of it but needless to say we are sick of painting.  If we don't have to painting anything for a good long while, we'd be totally fine with it.

We devised a systems mentioned in a previous post where I would cut in (edge by hand with a brush) and he would follow with a roller.  I think at one point we may have considered just breaking down and crying when we realized the contractors paint we used downstairs had horrible coverage.  As I mentioned in the bedroom wall painting post.  Just save yourself a whole lot of trouble and buy several cans of good paint.  I have been using Valspar for a few years now and I have never been disappointed.  The extra money is worth not spending the extra time put two and even sometimes three coats of paint up.  So if there is anything I can impart on you in terms of tips for painting it is that you should choose a good quality paint.   

Kitchen Before



Kitchen After


Dining Room Before



Dining Room After


Living Room Before
 

Living Room After


Bedrooms Before




Bedrooms After





Downstairs Powder Room Before


Downstairs Powder Room After



Above are the before pictures and the finished product.  I will say that though most of the projects revolved around paint, the difference is very stark from the mess the tenants left us.  The house looks like a completely different place and after having the place cleaned and carpets steam cleaned, it looked pretty good.


No comments:

Post a Comment