Sunday, June 22, 2014

Homemade Toothpaste

Here is a recipe for some homemade toothpaste.  Just a warning that this will not taste or have the texture like the stuff out of the tube but after a while, you get used to it.  The baking soda is a bit salty and the paste will not foam up like regular toothpaste.  Both recipes below have worked well in terms of cleaning and whitening so I have to say they do just as well as most products you can buy.  The stevia powder is for taste only and some recipes have called for using essential oils but I just put some extract that I had laying around in the mix just so I didn't have to purchase a bottle of something new. 


1/3 cup baking soda
3-4 tbs stevia powder
1/4 tsp each of orange extract and vanilla extract
Filtered water (enough to make a paste)

Mix extract in with baking soda and slowly add water, tsp by tsp until you get the consistency you want.  I store ours in a glass container and store it in the fridge just in case but I don't see why it couldn't be kept in the medicine cabinet or on the counter. 



I tried tooth powder as well but it was not as popular with my husband and I didn't want to keep making two separate tooth cleaning products so here is the less popular recipe below:

1/8 cup of baking soda
2 tsp stevia powder
dash of peppermint extract

Mix well and store in a salt or sugar shaker.   The oil made this hard to actually sprinkle on but this batch made so little we just packed the powder directly onto our toothbrushes by dipping it in the container.  This was also stored in the fridge.  Ended up being too salty for my husband's taste but I honestly didn't mind it!

The paste turned out much better and it smelled exactly like a orange creamsicle!

No comments:

Post a Comment